Wednesday, September 2, 2015

MEETING PEOPLE IN UNIVERSITY/COLLEGE

Soooooo, I have started college and it is now two days into orientation.  Not saying that I am an expert or anything, but I have tips on how to meet people when you enter university or college.  I did not do these things, which is why I am writing a blogpost on a night when everyone is going out.

Tip #1:
Do not have a single room!

I thought that having the extra privacy would affect nothing.  I was wrong, the privacy at the beginning of a new school experience makes it harder to make friends.  If you do have a single dorm room then make sure to get out and go places.

Tip #2:
Make sure your parents leave ASAP!

The parents hinder you from doing anything and everything.  Try to get them moving along at the first opportunity possible.  It was especially hard for me because my mother is like my best friend and when I was without her I was uncomfortable, but that feeling of AWKWARD will go away once you meet friends.  So get over the awkward feeling of being alone because everyone feels that way and you are not special.

Tip #3:
Say hi!

Literally say hi, hello or something to everyone and anyone.  I personally only did this twice and because of it I have friends...I think.  People receive communication well unless they are mentally ill, but then again they usually don't mind because it is inevitable.  For me saying hi was hard.  I am an introvert when it comes to meeting new people not because I don't like meeting people or because I am afraid, but because I like solitude just as much as socializing.

Tip #4:
Explore!

You should explore both your campus and the area around your campus so that if any situation were to occur you are prepared for the worst.  I am not a fan of surprises so this helped me a lot.  I was able to go into the city and also wander around campus with all my free time being a lonely university student with no friends and family gone.

Tip #5:
Always have your phone!

People love to hand out their number during the this awkward start to the school chapter.  So make sure you have a phone to give that info.  Another reason is because when you are alone you can (watch me) whip that phone out (that previous parenthesis was referencing the song) and pretend that you were doing something important and that you have a life somewhere on the internet.

I don't know why I am giving these tips and not following them even though I could use them?  I am sitting in the common room with three other girls to my left watching a movie and I refuse to acknowledge their presence.  Seriously I won't even look at them because...

I am also one of the youngest in my university where everyone is over 18 easily as a freshman.  I did manage to meet a really cute guy because my mom got his help bringing my bags to my room.  She is literally my wing-woman.  He later said hi to me and remembered my face.  I died a little inside.

In all honesty, you can't mess up your first days of college with all of the activities most universities and colleges provide all you have to do is be yourself and live and learn.

Sincerely,
True Predictions!

No comments:

Post a Comment